Pateley Bridge to MashamA spectacular ride with a great mixture of scenery. It includes two tough climbs separated by easier cycling through rolling countryside.
The starting point for this route is Pateley Bridge – a great little town in upper Nidderdale. There is no warm up on this ride as it heads straight up a steep, tough climb out of town – you will need your lowest gear. Once up there are some great rolling roads across fantastic heather moorland, through a few villages and into Masham. This is a great spot to stop with its large market square with selection of cafes and shops. There are also two breweries in town – Theakstons and Black Sheep – which do tours, although this might be dangerous.
The route back is a long climb up past Leighton Reservoir to reach the top of the Lofthouse climb. A technical descent takes you back into Nidderdale and a lovely easy ride down the valley past Gouthwaite Reservoir.
Please note that you’ll need to follow your browser instructions for downloading of GPX files:
- Google Chrome: Right click on the icon, and choose save link as…
- Firefox: Right click on the icon, and choose save link as…
- Safari: Right click on the icon, and choose Download linked file as . . .
- A Microsoft browser: Right click on the icon, and choose save target as…
- For mobile devices, you can use an app such as Trails – GPS tracker for hiking, biking and running to import the GPX files directly into the app.
Once the GPX file has been saved on your computer, use the software provided by your GPS device maker or Expert GPS to load it onto your device.
If available, the 'GPX' (or GPS Exchange format) files for each route are text files that can be read by GPS devices as a series of waypoints along each route.