MTB: Reeth – The EdgeA classic tour of Swaledale taking in some of the best routes in the area. The highlight for most people is likely to be the two great technical rocky descents dropping from Fremington Edge, and then into Gunnerside Gill.
A Swaledale classic – this is a tough route with plenty of technical challenge including two steep descents. The start is in Reeth which has plenty of accommodation, shops, cafes and toilets. Just out of town is the Dales Bike Centre for all your cycling needs.
A tough rocky climb out of Reeth takes you up and across heather moorland with old mine workings. Then is the first steep descent down to Langthwaite. An easier section leads to a long climb up onto Great Pinseat. A remote section takes you through more old lead mining areas before a dramatic descent into Gunnerside Gill.
More great riding along the valley edge with a final descent down to Gunnerside. Then it is easy riding along easy riverside tracks back to Reeth.
Please note that you’ll need to follow your browser instructions for downloading of GPX files:
- Google Chrome: Right click on the icon, and choose save link as…
- Firefox: Right click on the icon, and choose save link as…
- Safari: Right click on the icon, and choose Download linked file as . . .
- A Microsoft browser: Right click on the icon, and choose save target as…
- For mobile devices, you can use an app such as Trails – GPS tracker for hiking, biking and running to import the GPX files directly into the app.
Once the GPX file has been saved on your computer, use the software provided by your GPS device maker or Expert GPS to load it onto your device.
If available, the 'GPX' (or GPS Exchange format) files for each route are text files that can be read by GPS devices as a series of waypoints along each route.